A long day of driving, but looking forward to tomorrow. We are taking a detour off the Alaska Hwy to Skagway. It will be a taste of the inside passage cities.
We have not hooked up to electricity since we left cousin Cindy's home in Montana. Our stay in Canada and Alaska has been totally dry camping meaning park and sleep mostly in State Parks. The camp sites with electrical hookups were not always in scenic locations and were more expensive (State parks were $12 average) The only challenge has been to keep all electronics charged and and make sure the propane is full. All worked out until this morning. The propane ran out just as the coffee was done perking (thank goodness, the coffee was done). Our backup worked, kept the refrigerator cold, and we made it to the exchange place here in Whitehorse in time.
I had a camp spot picked out on the south side of Whitehorse, but we need a few other supples and Walmart was closed. When we saw the parking lot here at Walmart, we decided to stay. There must be 25 campers. There is even someone tent camping.
After Skagway, we will be at least two days in Canada. I'll write each day and post when we get back into the States.
Even though I haven't replied to your comments, I have appreciated them so much.
- Wrapping up Alaska 2011
- Laramie Wyoming to Home Sunday, August 14 720 mi...
- Grand Teton National Park on to Laramie Saturday, ...
- Yellowstone National Park Friday, August 12
- Another August 11 entry
- Back in the Good Ole’ USA Thursday, August 11 491 ...
- Somewhere between Banff and Calgary August 10 578...
- Cassiar Highway – Stewart/Hyder – August 9 521 mil...
- Skagway to Forest Service Road on Cassier Hwy Sout...
- Whitehorse to Skagway August 7
- Delta Junction Alaska to Whitehorse Yukon Saturday...
- Denali Highway Friday August 6
- Denali National Park – More beautiful than words t...
- Denali National Park. Thursday afternoon
- Portage Glacier/Whittier then on-the-road to Denal...
- Alaskans love their coffee
- Steward Alaska SeaLife Center, Exit Glacier and Po...
- Sea Otter in Seward Alaska Harbor
- Ninilchik Beach to Seward Beach August 1
- ▼ August (19)